K.1 The student will demonstrate growth in the use of oral language.
- Listen to a variety of literary forms, including stories and poems.
- Participate in choral speaking and recite short poems, rhymes, songs, and stories with repeated patterns.
- Participate in creative dramatics.
- Begin to discriminate between spoken sentences, words, and syllables.
- Recognize rhyming words.
- Generate rhyming words in a rhyming pattern.
K.2 The student will use listening and speaking vocabularies.
- Use number words.
- Use words to describe/name people, places, and things.
- Use words to describe location, size, color, and shape.
- Use words to describe actions.
- Ask about words not understood.
- Follow one-step and two-step directions.
- Begin to ask how and why questions.
K.3 The student will build oral communication skills.
- Begin to follow implicit rules for conversation, including taking turns and staying on topic.
- Express ideas and needs in complete sentences.
- Begin to use voice level, phrasing, and intonation appropriate for language situation.
- Listen and speak in informal conversations with peers and adults.
- Begin to initiate conversations.
- Participate in discussions about books and specific topics.
K.4 The student will hear, say, and manipulate phonemes (small units of sound) of spoken language.
- Identify orally words that rhyme.
- Identify words orally according to shared beginning or ending sounds.
- Blend sounds orally to make words or syllables.
- Divide one-syllable words into sounds (phonemes).
- Divide words into syllables.
K.5 The student will understand how print is organized and read.
- Hold print materials in the correct position.
- Identify the front cover, back cover, and title page of a book.
- Follow words from left to right and from top to bottom on a printed page.
- Match voice with print: syllables, words, and phrases.
K.6 The student will demonstrate an understanding that print makes sense.
- Explain that printed materials provide information.
- Identify common signs and logos.
- Read ten high-frequency words.
- Read and explain own writing and drawings.
K.7 The student will develop an understanding of basic phonetic principles.
- Identify and name the uppercase and lowercase letters of the alphabet.
- Match consonant and short vowel sounds to appropriate letters.
- Identify beginning consonant sounds in single-syllable words.
K.8 The student will demonstrate comprehension of fiction and nonfiction.
- Use pictures to make predictions about content.
- Retell familiar stories, using beginning, middle, and end.
- Discuss characters, setting, and events.
- Use story language in discussions and retellings.
- Identify what an author does and what an illustrator does.
- Identify the topics of nonfiction selections.
The student will print the uppercase and lowercase letters of the alphabet independently.
K.10 The student will print his/her first and last names.
K.11 The student will write to communicate ideas.
- Draw pictures and/or use letters and phonetically spelled words to write about experiences, stories, people, objects, or events.
- Write left to right and top to bottom.
K.12 The student will explore the uses of available technology for reading and writing.
1. Starfall Reading practice with oral instructions of what to do
2. Excellent Phonics, Consonant, & Vowel Practice Games and Tests A great resource for english Skils & SOLS
3. Online Books Listen, read, and watch animated books online
4. http://www.quia.com/pages/solk.html SOL Kindergarten grade webpage
5. Play Games to Learn Shapes, Color, Math, & Alphabet Excellent online games for SMARTBoard
6. Phonics and Word Study Games Kindergarten level
1. ABC Alphabet Interactive Websites
2. NASA-grab objects that begin with letter game
3. Ipad App Searchable Database (Find apps by subject and grade)
1. Morning Meeting Calendar, weather, and word wall SMARTBoard Notebook Lesson
2. AT and AN Appleworks-Word Sort
3. IG and IT Appleworks-Word Sort
4. Bingo Song Notebook
5. Home vs School Table to drag names of students of who stayed home and who is at school Notebook
6. Short Vowel Rhymes Lesson
7. Apple tree Notebook
8. Letter Sound Matching Notebook
9. Word Family Picture Sorts Smartboad Notebook (AT, AN, IG, IT, OP, OT, ET, ED, UB, UG)
10. Colors SMARTBoard Notebook Lesson-drag letters to form color words
11. Practice tracing Uppercase ABC letters SMARTBoard Notebook
12. Gingerbread Man SMARTBoard Notebook
13. The 3 Billy Goats Gruff Notebook lesson
14. Handwriting ABC practice
15. Handwriting practice staying in lines
16. The 3 Bears Notebook lesson
17. Jack and the Beanstalk Interactive SOL Lesson
18. Word Builder SMARTBoard Notebook
19. The Letter B Lesson
20. Short Vowel Matching lesson
21. Lowercase Letter Match SMART Response LE
1. ABC PowerPoint with links to UnitedStreaming movies
1. Write simple sentences (Picture Preview)
2. The Very Hungry Caterpillar Drag pictures to what it ate each day (Picture Preview)
3. Bb vs. Mm Drag pictures to the correct letter box (Picture Preview)
4. Beginning Sounds Match pictures to letters (Picture Preview)
5. Learn Alphabet through pictures Each letter has a Kidspiration file to download with pictures for that letter
|United Streaming Movie Clip Titles
|1. Commonwealth of Knowledge SOL Lesson Plans
|Assessments & Strategies
1. PALS Lesson Plans & Activities Excellent resources for preparing for PALS Testing
2. Find SMARTBoard Notebook Ready Made Lessons Enter the subject, grade, and Virginia Standards. Excellent SMARTBoard resource
3. Manuscript Worksheets & Tutorials Excellent resource
4. Reading & Literacy Kindergarten grade PDF Worksheets Free reading activities organized by literacy skills
5. Vowel Pattern Cards Print out these free vowel pattern cards
6. Download Language Arts PDF Homework Worksheets Click on the link describing the skill that you want the students to work on.
7. Louisa County Pacing Guide with SOL Resources
8. Ipad App Searchable Database (Find apps by subject and grade)
9. Advanced Phonics CD songs Learn Phonics through songs
10. Create SOL Worksheets for K-2. This is a subscription.
11. School Sparks Printable Worksheets
12. Free Kindergarten Worksheets
13. Superb Suffolk Teaching Activities and Resources
WARNING! This page contains hyperlinks to external web sites that are not aren't controlled by Rockingham County Public Schools. The web sites were evaluated before being added to this web page. However, content may change and domain names change. This web page is provided as a service; the web sites to which they go are not endorsed by Rockingham County Public Schools. The county is not responsible for content located on these sites.