1.1 The student will continue to demonstrate growth in the use of oral language.
- Listen and respond to a variety of media, including books, audiotapes, videos, and other age-appropriate materials.
- Tell and retell stories and events in logical order.
- Participate in a variety of oral language activities, including choral speaking and reciting short poems, rhymes, songs, and stories with repeated patterns.
- Express ideas orally in complete sentences.
1.2 The student will continue to expand and use listening and speaking vocabularies.
- Increase oral descriptive vocabulary.
- Begin to ask for clarification and explanation of words and ideas.
- Follow simple two-step oral directions.
- Give simple two-step oral directions.
- Use singular and plural nouns.
1.3 The student will adapt or change oral language to fit the situation.
- Initiate conversation with peers and adults.
- Follow rules for conversation.
- Use appropriate voice level in small-group settings.
- Ask and respond to questions in small-group settings.
1.4 The student will orally identify and manipulate phonemes (small units of sound) in syllables and multisyllabic words.
- Count phonemes (sounds) in syllables or words with a maximum of three syllables.
- Add or delete phonemes (sounds) orally to change syllables or words.
- Create rhyming words orally.
- Blend sounds to make word parts and words with one to three syllables.
1.5 The student will apply knowledge of how print is organized and read.
- Read from left to right and from top to bottom.
- Match spoken words with print.
- Identify letters, words, and sentences.
1.6 The student will apply phonetic principles to read and spell.
- Use beginning and ending consonants to decode and spell single-syllable words.
- Use two-letter consonant blends to decode and spell single-syllable words.
- Use beginning consonant digraphs to decode and spell single-syllable words.
- Use short vowel sounds to decode and spell single-syllable words.
- Blend beginning, middle, and ending sounds to recognize and read words.
- Use word patterns to decode unfamiliar words.
- Use compound words.
- Read and spell common, high-frequency sight words, including the, said, and come.
1.7 The student will use meaning clues and language structure to expand vocabulary when reading.
- Use titles and pictures.
- Use knowledge of the story and topic to read words.
- Use knowledge of sentence structure.
- Reread and self-correct.
The student will read familiar stories, poems, and passages with fluency and expression.
The student will read and demonstrate comprehension of a variety of fiction and nonfiction.
- Preview the selection.
- Set a purpose for reading.
- Relate previous experiences to what is read.
- Make predictions about content.
- Ask and answer who, what, when, where, why, and how questions about what is read.
- Identify characters, setting, and important events.
- Retell stories and events, using beginning, middle, and end.
- Identify the topic or main idea.
1.10 The student will use simple reference materials.
- Use knowledge of alphabetical order by first letter.
- Use a picture dictionary to find meanings of unfamiliar words.
1.11 The student will print legibly.
- Form letters.
- Space words and sentences.
The student will write to communicate ideas.
- Generate ideas.
- Focus on one topic.
- Use descriptive words when writing about people, places, things, and events.
- Use complete sentences in final copies.
- Begin each sentence with a capital letter and use ending punctuation in final copies.
- Use correct spelling for high-frequency sight words and phonetically regular words in final copies.
- Share writing with others.
- Use available technology.
1. Starfall Reading practice with oral instructions of what to do
2. Excellent Phonics, Consonant, & Vowel Practice Games and Tests A great resource for english SOLS
3. Online Books Listen, read, and watch animated books online
4. http://www.quia.com/pages/sol1.html SOL1st grade webpage
5. Excellent English SOL Resources Websites by SOL
6. Matching Opposites 1st Grade Matching Games
7. ABC Order Put the 10 words in ABC order by numbering them 1-10
8. Names in ABC Order Put the student names in ABC order by numbering them 1-10
9. Matching the Months Match the month with the number it represents
10. Matching Days of the Week Match the week with the number it represents
11. Quiz on Days of the Week 10 Questions
12. Choose the Correct key word Choose a word that correctly completes the sentence. Geared for 1st grade students.
13. Using -ed and -ing Correctly Choose a word that correctly completes the sentence.
14. Order the Birthdays Number the birthdays 1-10 in the correct order
15. Stack Chickens Game Click on the Short i sound to stack chiekens.
16. Long A sound Game Click on the picture matching the Long A sound in the sentence
17. Read Jake's Tale Online Book Long A sound practice. Click on words to hear them sounded out.
18. Long I sound Game Drag letters in order to fill in the blanks that spell out a word that represents the picture shown
19. Read Sky Ride Long I Online Book Long I sound practice. Click on words to hear them sounded out.
20. Long E Sound Game Drag letters to fill in the words for the picture
20. Read Pete's Sheep Long E Online Book Long E sound practice. Click on words to hear them sounded out.
21. Funbrain Matching Match the words to 1st grade pictures
22. Alphabet Matching Practice Match uppercase letters to lower case letters
1. Ipad Word Magic App-similar to PALS
2. Ipad FirstWords: Sampler app practice spelling simple words
3. Ipad MeeGenius app free and 99cent books. Highlights words as reads
4. Ipad Bookster app Imagine Learning. Listen to words and then record your voice and compare
5. Ipad Kidztory app listen to several classic stories
6. Ipad Save the Day Madera & Figaro app interact with the story as read to you
7. Ipad Read Me Stories -free educational book each day
8. Ipad Spelling Bug app practice spelling
9. Ipad Super Why app practice spelling words, word games and reading practice
10. Word Families app-practice Word Families Sorts
11. Pocket Phonics app-phonics practice
12. I can Write 2 app-free app to practice reading and writing.
13. Ipad Opposites 1 app-practice matching words that are opposites
1. Capital Letters Notebook (Zipped file-use Firefox)
2. IR, UR, ER Words (Zipped file-use Firefox)
3. Elementary SMARTBoard Notebook Lessons
4. Read Johnny Appleseed SMARTBoard Lesson
5. Word Builder Smartboard Notebook
6. Short Vowel Matching lesson
7. Short Vowel Rhymes Lesson
8. Jack and the Beanstalk Interactive SOL Lesson
9. Several Nursery Rhyme Notebook files
1. Digital Story Telling PowerPoint Excellent ideas of how to create good digital stories
2. Digital Story Telling Powerpoint Resource Details on why to use this method and ideas of how
3. Jeopardy on Short Vowel-G Endings Review PowerPoint
4. Goldilocks & The 3 Bears
5. Jeopardy Digraphs
6. Double Vowel Jeopardy Review PowerPoint
7. Introduce Reading Outloud to your Kids PowerPoint for parents
8. SOL 1.4 & 1.6 Word Families an & at Instructional PowerPoint
9. Jeopardy Stories & Nursery Rhymes PowerPoint
10. Jeopardy Compound Words Review PowerPoint
11. Jeopardy Contractions Review PowerPoint
12. Jeopardy Ending Blends Review PowerPoint
13. Jeopardy Homophones Review PowerPoint
14. Short Vowel Music Jeopardy Review PowerPoint
15. Jeopardy Base Words Review PowerPoint
16. Jeopardy beginning Consanants PowerPoint
17. Jeopardy Short Vowel Review PowerPoint
18. Jeopardy on Short Vowel-T Endings Review PowerPoint
1. Plural Nouns (Picture Preview)
2. The Very Hungry Caterpillar Drag pictures to what it ate each day (Picture Preview)
3. Upper and Lowercase Letters Sorting (Picture Preview)
4. Beginning Sounds Match pictures to letters (Picture Preview)
|Discovery Education Movie Clip Titles
1. Vowels Save the Day Starfall Movie Clip
2. Two Vowels Go Walking Starfall Movie Clip
|1. Commonwealth of Knowledge SOL Lesson Plans
|Assessments & Strategies
||Evaluation Rubric for Digital Story Telling Ideas and rubric for evaluating
1. PALS Lesson Plans & Activities Excellent resources for preparing for PALS Testing
2. Find Smartboard Notebook Ready Made Lessons Enter the subject, grade, and Virginia Standards. Excellent Smartboard resource
3. Virginia SOL Bookstore Books Resources to buy
4. Reading & Literacy Kindergarten grade PDF Worksheets Free reading activities organized by literacy skills
5. Vowel Pattern Cards Print out these free vowel pattern cards
6. Download Language Arts PDF Homework Worksheets Click on the link describing the skill that you want the students to work on.
7. K-3 Book Lesson Plans, worksheets, and ideas Lots of reading book worksheets, crafts, lesson etc.
8. Download and print 30 free Leveled Books Leveled Books in English and Spanish with worksheets to evaluate comprehension
9. Advanced Phonics CD songs Learn Phonics through songs
10. Manuscript Worksheets & Tutorials Excellent resource
11. Cursive Worksheets & Tutorials Great resource
12. Download PALS Assessment Timed PowerPoint
13. Download PALS Level C Words Assessment Timed PowerPoint
14. Create SOL Worksheets for K-2. This is a subscription.
15. Buy SOL Assessments for grades K-3 all subjects
16. Superb Suffolk Teaching Activities and Resources
WARNING! This page contains hyperlinks to external web sites that are not aren't controlled by Rockingham County Public Schools. The web sites were evaluated before being added to this web page. However, content may change and domain names change. This web page is provided as a service; the web sites to which they go are not endorsed by Rockingham County Public Schools. The county is not responsible for content located on these sites.