Dr. Carol S. Fenn, Ed.D.
Carol S. Fenn, a graduate of Bridgewater College, has served as Rockingham County Public Schools' Superintendent since 2007. Having grown up on a dairy farm in Augusta County, she has had a close connection to the Shenandoah Valley her entire life. Her first teaching assignment was as a fifth grade teacher at Craigsville Elementary School in Augusta County. She has since worked as a reading specialist, principal, director of elementary education, as well as multiple other division leadership roles in areas such as gifted programming and curriculum development, and finally as Shenandoah County Public School's Acting Superintendent. After earning her masters degree in reading from Virginia Commonwealth University, she earned her doctorate in education leadership from the Curry School of Education at the University of Virginia in 2002.
Major RCPS Initiatives
During Dr. Carol Fenn's tenure as RCPS Superintendent, the division has implemented and continued a host of projects, including the following:
- County-wide redistricting, and construction of three new schools, including East Rockingham High School
- Digital Conversion, a comprehensive 5-year plan to provide digital learning resources for students at all levels in RCPS
- Historical and business tours program for administrators to expand community experiences and establish new business partnerships
- Expansion of RCPS student enrollment at Massanutten Technical Center, increasing the ability of students to earn industry certifications and college credit in 18 programs
- Increased high school Advanced Placement course offerings
- Introduction of STEM and environmental education throughout the division
- Continuation of the PBIS safe school climate program
- Introduction of new high school programs in agriculture sciences such as equine science and biotechnology
- Introduction of a tiered, service-based alternative education approach that includes blended learning programs
- Continuation of the RCPS partnership with the Rockingham Education Foundation for student scholarships and innovative teacher grants