USE OF STUDENT-OWNED ELECTRONIC DEVICES
Student use of any personally owned electronic device, including but not limited to laptops, iPods, iPads, or cell phones, shall adhere to the following regulations:
1. Rockingham County Public Schools assumes no liability for the loss, theft, or damage of any student-owned electronic device or the information stored on the device.
2. Student-owned electronic devices shall be prohibited during instructional time unless a teacher directs students to use them for a specific educational task. Violations of this regulation will be disciplined according to the accompanying Administrative Directive, AD-JZK. Unless directed otherwise by the teacher, student-owned devices must be concealed and muted.
3. Student use of personally owned electronic devices during instructional time is allowed strictly at the teacherÕs discretion. There is no blanket teacher approval for student-owned electronic devices; permission to use them is to be granted on a day-by-day basis by teachers who plan to use them for instructional purposes.
4. Use of personally owned electronic devices during the school day:
a. Middle school students may NOT use personally owned electronic devices during school day except as approved by the teacher as described in item 3 above. Students may have personally owned devices in their possession; however, these devices must be silenced so as to not create a disruption. They must be concealed at all times except as approved by the teacher as described in item 3 above.
b. Middle school students may use personally owned electronic devices after school, at extracurricular events after school hours, and on buses.
c. High school students may use personally owned electronic devices during the following non-instructional times: during lunch, between classes, before and after school including extracurricular events, and on buses. However, when high school students enter and exit the classroom the device shall not be in use and must be muted unless the teacher has expressly permitted this. When not in use, student-owned electronic devices must be silenced so as to not create a disruption. When in use, students shall use headphones or ear buds to keep audio from being disruptive.
d. Student-owned electronic device use on buses is subject to Transportation Department safety guidelines.
5. The use of student-owned electronic devices anywhere on school property shall be governed by these regulations:
a. Middle or high school students who connect to the Internet shall use the schoolÕs WiFi system, not through the deviceÕs 3G or 4G capabilities.
b. Students shall comply with all local, state and federal laws related to personally owned technology.
c. Students shall comply with the Rockingham County Public Schools Acceptable Use Policy (IIBEA).
d. Students shall comply with all other applicable school rules including, but not limited to, no cheating, bullying, or unauthorized sharing of assignments or information on assessments.
e. An administrator may revoke a studentÕs permission to use his/her personally owned device in the school at any time; any teacher who otherwise allows student use of personal electronic devices may revoke a studentÕs permission to use his/her device in his/her classroom.
f. Students shall not use devices to record, transmit, or post photographic images or video of a person or persons.
6. Rockingham County Public Schools reserves the right to:
a. Monitor and log activity of student-owned devices on the RCPS network.
b. Determine when and where student-owned devices may connect to the RCPS network.
c. Make determinations on whether specific uses of student-owned devices are consistent with the DistrictÕs Acceptable Use Policy.
d. Regulate the userÕs access to the RCPS network.
Legal Refs.: Code of Virginia, 1950, as amended ¤¤ 22.1-28, 22.1-78, 22.1-253.13:7,
Cross Refs.: JFC Student Conduct
IIBEA Acceptable Use Policy
RCPS Administrative Directive: Administrative Guidelines for Grades 6-12,