Faculty and Staff

RCPS Menu


Click on the menu icon to see what we're having for breakfast and lunch and to view meal prices.

Note: MENUS ARE SUBJECT TO CHANGE.

Breakfast - On days school is delayed one hour, breakfast IS served.
Breakfast WILL NOT be served on days when school is delayed two hours.

Our History

As early as 1830 a two-story log dwelling was used to educate the children of the McGaheysville area. The building was replaced in 1850 by a one-room structure which was torn down in 1870.

During that year, McGaheysville Male & Female Academy was constructed and located at a site on Town Hall Road (Va. 843) across from "Town Hall."

During the year 1881 the school name was changed to Oak Hill Academy and would remain so until the construction of a new school which began in 1907.

In 1908, McGaheysville High School was built on the present site combining the elementary and high school. The new school incorporated the small one-room schools from the surrounding countryside.

Forty-one years of expansion and growth brought an end to the usefulness of the combined elementary and high school. In 1950, Montevideo High School was built incorporating the high schools of the following communities: Grottoes, Keezletown, McGaheysville, and Port Republic. In June 1950, the last senior class of McGaheysville High School graduated.

McGaheysville Elementary School was organized with grades one through seven until 1964 when Montevideo Intermediate School opened. On January 7, 1968, the proud structure of McGahyesville Elementary School was destroyed by fire.

For slightly more than a year, pupils attended school in the United Church of Christ and the Methodist Church. Nielsen Construction Company of Harrisonburg was awarded a $481,153.00 contract to build a new fourteen-room elementary school in McGaheysville. The new building housed classrooms, cafeteria, kitchen, teacher's lounge, and a health clinic.

On January 26, 1969, the new school building was opened for use. It housed grades one through six until the 1976-77 school term when kindergarten was added. The addition of kindergarten added two mobile units to the school. In the spring of 1980, the sixth grade was transferred to Montevideo Intermediate School due to the opening of Spotswood High School.

McGaheysville Elementary School presently contains grades pre-kindergarten through five. An addition and renovation was completed in July 1995 at a cost of approximately four million dollars.

Principals of McGaheysville Elementary School (existing building)


Becky Rhodes
July 2007 -
Bill Rauss
July 2001 - July 2007
David Burchfield
July 1997 - July 2001
Nancy J. Lantz
August 1991 - July 1997
Gwen Edwards
July 1989 - July 1991
W. Marshall Price
July, 1985 - July, 1989
Jared Clem
July 1983 - July 1985
John Kidd
July 1978 - July 1983
Bob Knighton
July 1977 - July 1978
Wayne Nutter
July 1967 - July 1977
   

History of Rockingham County Public Schools